How to prepare a good brief for your video agency?
As a video content producer, our mission is to help you tell your story as efficiently as possible. To do that, we’ve established a production process in seven steps, from defining objectives to measuring results.
But before getting started on the conception of video content, we have to be sure we understand what you have in mind. And there’s one crucial step required in order to do that: writing up a brief.
What goes into a brief?
A brief has to contain all the essential information about your video project: who, why, how, and for whom? It’s an indispensable document to ensure everyone is on the same page, avoid misunderstandings and save time.
So here’s what a good brief must contain.
Let’s begin with the basics: clearly identifying your project by giving it a name.
Next, we need you to indicate all the context elements that will enable us to create a piece of content that is adapted to your needs.
First of all, what exactly are we talking about:
• Why do you need video content?
• What type of content do you want us to make?
• What are the key messages it should contain?
Next, tell us what you wish to accomplish with this video:
• What are the results you are hoping for?
• How do you intend to measure those results?
• What audience are you targeting?
• How will that audience be exposed to the video?
• Why does the message it contains matter to the targeted audience?
Some elements of general context will also help us understand the tone and intention of your video:
• How do you want the audience to feel when they see the video?
• How do you want your brand or company to be perceived?
• Do you have any elements of reference or inspiration to share?
To make all this more tangible, don’t hesitate to describe your customer or user as a person, as well as your brand or company, and to explain how these two persons form a perfect couple.
Lastly, don’t forget the material elements:
• What is your budget?
• What is your deadline?
• What deliverables do you need (various formats, with or without subtitles, etc.)?
With all these elements in hand, we’ll be fully equipped to come up with something that is perfectly suited to your image, your identity and your needs. And more importantly, something you love!
To be sure not to forget anything when writing up your brief, we’ve prepared a template you can download here.
Alright, it’s up to you now!